This is a difficult topic, but I decided to talk about music a little bit because it has been a while since I made a list of any kind. I find that a good soundtrack can elevate any movie, but putting this list together was actually quite easy for me: I only listed the soundtracks that I have been listening to ever since I have seen that given movie. I still have many of them on actual CDs (that's right kids, I am old), and sometimes I pop them into my Xbox and listen to them loud enough to make sure that my neighbors know what WE are listening to.
Before we head into the list, allow me to add a couple of honorable mentions:
- The Greatest Showman (2017): This has an original score, but it is a musical movie, and not a score or a collection of songs from various artists. And since it is a good musical (read my review here!), I am sure that someone will try and bring it to the big stage, in which case it is no longer a movide soundtrack. Finally, as I do admit that it was a very well made score, I personally only love a couple of the songs.
- Mamma Mia (2008) & Here We Go Again (2018): This would be a cheat, as it is not only rewritten for a musical, but they are all ABBA songs. ABBA is outstanding, years later, they built a legacy that will live on for ages past even my time, I am sure. But it is not so much a soundtrack, but a big cover CD with great actors doing them, but cannot be considered original.
- Across the Universe (2007): This has the same problem, as the one before it, as it is a musical movie, but The Beatles have built a legacy. I would not be surprised if more people got inspired to use their songs to write stories, as they did with Yesterday (2019).
- Hamlet 2 (2008): One my favorite comedy movies, it has a mix of original songs and various artists as well. I do not listen to every song, but some of them have been on repeat and the original score here is fantastic and funny. Highly recommended to musical lovers!
- Billy Elliot (2000): Of all the movies I have seen in my time, this one uses the soundtrack better than any to position the viewer in the time period in which the story is set. This is quite a sad movie, and the soundtrack too sometimes takes me with it, so I do not listen to it as much, but I learned about The Clash and T. Rex and for that I am extremely grateful.
- Teen Titans GO! To the Movies (2008): I did not include any cartoons on this list, because they are a whole other category. Disney likes to go for a musical interpretation while all the other cartoons and animations like to mimic them. However, there is one movie out there that only has only a couple of songs, but they are just out of this world, and that is Teen Titans GO!. I have had those couple of songs on repeat every since I first heard them.
I will now dissect that top 10 list into two separate lists, one containing original music score, and the other, the soundtracks with a selection of songs. I had to do this, because I did not really have 10 for each... also, I find that when it comes to the quality of music they complete each other. The collection of songs sometimes is indeed as good as the original score, and the original score makes me want to listen to it the same way I consume pop music. However, to help you reader when you are looking for music to listen to, it was easier to collect them into two groups. So enjoy!
Original Music Score
What are some of your favorite soundtracks? I am always looking to expand my list. Funnily enough I only listen to ones after I have seen the movie, and when it comes to video games, I usually check out the scores even before playing the games. I am a big music lover, so I am always looking for more: if you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments section below!
Until the next item on my list!